Present position:- Professor of Mathematics (Professore Ordinario di Geometria), Roma Tre University (since november 2001).
- Head of the Department of Mathematics and Physics (since january 2013).
Education:- Laurea in Matematica- La Sapienza University - 1989.
- Ph.D. in Mathematics - Harvard University - 1993.
Professional experience:- Benjamin Pierce Assistant Professor of Mathematics, Harvard University, USA. 1993-97.
- Ricercatore Universitario, Tor Vergata University, Italy. 1994-95.
- Assistant Professor of Mathematics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology. USA. 1997-2001
- Associate Professor, University of Sannio, Italy. 1999-2001.
Long term visiting positions:- MSRI, Berkeley, USA (May 1993, January 2006, January-April 2009).
- University La Sapienza, Italy (September-December 1998).
- Roma Tre University, Italy (May 1999).
- IRMA, University of Strasbourg, France (October-December 2000).
- University of Nice, France (February-May 2001).
Drawing by Dan Abramovich - 1993
Academic distinctions:- Sloan foundation doctoral fellow, 1992-93.
- Invited speaker, AMS symposium on Algebraic Geometry, Santa Cruz 1995.
- Sloan foundation post-doctoral fellow, 1994-97.
- Invited speaker, ECM (European Congress of Mathematicians) Budapest 1996
- Prize Bartolozzi, U.M.I. 1997
- Plenary Speaker, XX Journées Arithmétiques, Université de Limoges 1997.
- Medaglia ''Le Scienze" for Mathematics, 2000.
- Invited speaker, AMS symposium on Algebraic Geometry, Seattle 2005.
- Invited speaker, AMS symposium on Algebraic Geometry, University of Utah 2015.
- Plenary Speaker, Congresso Unione Matematica Italiana, University of Siena 2015.
- Plenary Speaker, 31st Brazilian Mathematics Colloquium, IMPA Rio de Janeiro 2017.
- Invited Speaker, ICM (International Congress of Mathematicians), Rio de Janeiro 2018.
Academic Services (selected):- Chair of the Ph.D. Program in Mathematics at Roma TRE. 2002-2006.
- Member of Review Panels in mathematics for the NSF (National Science Foundation) USA. 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2010.
- Member of the "Exzellenzinitiative" Panel for the DFG (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft) Germany. 2006.
- Member of the Italian Delegation at the IMU (International Mathematical Union) General Assembly in Bangalore-India. 2010.
- Member of the Mathematics Evaluation Panels for the Swedish Research Council - Sweden. 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.
- Member of the ANVUR GEV1 (Experts for Mathematics and Informatics) for the VQR 2004-2011 (National Evaluation of Research). 2012-2013.
- Head of the Department of Mathematics and Physics at Roma Tre University. January 2013 - today
- Chair of the Board of Heads of Department at Roma Tre University. 2013-2015
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of Max Planck Institute for Mathematics and the Sciences - Germany. 2018-2022
- Member of the Italian Delegation at the IMU (International Mathematical Union) General Assembly in Sao Paolo-Brasil. 2018.
Editorial Activity (current):
- Transactions of the American Mathematical Society - American Mathematical Society.
My children in 2004